Is your skin red and/or itchy?
Do you have a lot of skin bumps or rashes?
Does your skin sting or burn a lot?
Then you have sensitive skin.
If you’re wondering why it happens, worry not! Below, we’ll answer what you’ve been asking for a long time: “Why is my skin so sensitive?”
You Have Been Exposed to Harmful Environmental Conditions
While the skin is made to protect the body from the environment, exposure to the following conditions can make it more sensitive:
- Excessive sunlight
- Strong winds
- Intense heat or cold
These can cause excessive dryness or injury, compromise the skin, and make it prone to irritation.
You Suffer From a Skin Condition
The following disorders or allergic reactions can trigger skin sensitivity:
- Eczema or atopic dermatitis, a condition that makes skin swollen and rough
- Rosacea, an inflammatory disease that causes skin redness and rashes
- Allergic contact dermatitis, a condition that results from the use of a particular substance
Your Genetics Are To Blame
Some people are more predisposed to have easily-irritated skin. So if you have fair skin or red hair, you’re more likely to ask the question, “Why is my skin so sensitive?”
You Are Using the Wrong Product
If you have reactive skin, using the wrong product can damage your skin’s outer layer and irritate it further. Here are some common offenders that you need to avoid:
- Alpha-hydroxy acids such as glycolic acid
- Granulated scrubs
- Chemical sunscreens containing Oxybenzone or Avobenzone
You’re Going Overboard With Your Skincare Routine
As Mark Twain puts it, “Too much of something is bad.” This is especially true if you have sensitive skin.
For one, using several products all at once means you’re exposing your skin to more ingredients. The more components you apply, the higher the chance that something will irritate your skin.
Furthermore, you may end up applying two (or more) potent ingredients that damage the skin when used together (i.e., Retinol/Retinoid and Alpha Hydroxy Acid).
What to Do
If you’re not careful, your actions will trigger your skin sensitivity. So to keep the redness, itchiness, and irritation away, remember to follow these tips:
- Avoid environmental extremes, such as excessive winds, heat, or cold
- Use sunscreen regularly
- Stay away from your eczema or rosacea triggers
- Wear fabrics that don’t irritate the skin, such as cotton, silk, rayon, or linen
- Eat well
More importantly, make it a point to use products specially formulated for sensitive skin. You can get these - and more - at Janssen Cosmetics.
Click here to get your hands on our gentle skincare products ASAP.